Consuelo: A Near-Death Experience from a Mexico City Slum (1961)
In 1961, anthropologist Oscar Lewis published Children of Sanchez - an ethnography of a family in the Mexico City slum of Tepito. One of the women who contributed to his study was 27-year-old Consuelo, who
recounted an NDE she had after slipping on cement and being knocked unconscious, then suffering a miscarriage.
Not only is it a fascinating account, it's also a good reminder that NDEs transcend economic as well as cultural circumstances. It is not only celebrities, authors of bestselling memoirs, and people in cardiac wards in developed countries who revive from apparent death and report their spiritual experiences. It's also disadvantaged people living in circumstances of extreme poverty and abuse. Consuelo's account exists only because she was given a voice by Oscar Lewis, who sought to expose a global "culture of poverty."
To read the full account - and to have a rare historical NDE account delivered to your inbox every month, click here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/59353962
As an independent scholar, I rely on small institutional grants and private support from people like you. You can become a Patron for as little as $1 a month, helping to ensure that I can continue providing high quality cutting-edge research that is wholly unique in the field of NDEs, religious studies, anthropology, or anywhere else.
Depending on the tier you select, some of the other benefits for Patrons include:
- E-Book of Conceptions of the Afterlife in Early Civilizations
- PDFs of unpublished works on Victorian and Edwardian mediumship, ancient Egyptian and Greek dreams, and more!
- An acknowledgement on the "thank you" page of my forthcoming books: The Next World: Extraordinary Experiences of the Afterlife, and the Historical Anthology of Near-Death Experiences
- A rare, previously unknown or little-known historical NDE every month - including examples that will not be including in the new anthology
- Free exclusive content: articles, book reviews, unpublished material
- Regular updates of my publications, interviews, media appearances, new website content etc.
- A promo code for 30% off the hardcover of Near-Death Experience in Indigenous Religions (when purchased via the publisher's website)
.......And more to come!